Hard to keep in touch (A letter to my friends):

Chapter of life series:

Hard to keep in touch, a letter to my friends


I was having a conversation the other day with a friend and I asked about a mutual good friend of ours, the conversation went something like:

-Hey bro remember -------, how is he?
-Don’t really know, we don’t really talk that much anymore but i saw on Instagram he graduated and is doing well for all I can tell.

This conversation went on but as it did I started thinking how much I missed spending time with my friends and the more I grow older the less time I spent with them… I started to wonder, why does this happen?

A lot of people might blame social media, as it takes away the need to keep in touch because theoretically we are always up to date and therefore there isn’t a need to talk because we constantly see how they are doing, hence less real interaction occurs.

The more I thought about it, the more a questions went unanswered and honestly if I found my friends while walking in the streets I know we would have an instant reconnection because if I text them we still continue to bond.

You know me, I try to keep a positive perspective about everything and I’d rather meet my friends for coffee and have a person to person conversation but I know I can still have a pleasant conversation over the internet and social media in general.

I think it depends on how deep or stablished the friendships were to begin with
Friendships and all relationships in general are like plants, we need to water them in order to grow them stronger. We can’t fully blame social media about how certain things makes us feel or how other’s people success or failures can make you disconnect with others.

Since we are talking about friendship there is an important point to make, not everyone in social media are friends. Friends are the one to still care for your well being, and so it’s hard to tell which friend would be there for you when you’d need them to be.

I believe we should learn to use the different set of tools we have in order to maintain a healthy mindset, sometimes we might feel disconnected with others but social media is a good way to stay in touch with friends. So ask yourself, if watching someones instagrams stories’ bother you, why are you following that person?

We should follow people who we relate to and yes sometimes we can’t relate to someone because people change. 

All I want to say is that whoever considers me a friend can count on me to try to listen and help them and I’m sorry if I haven’t been there for you in your time of need.

So here it is, a letter to all of you, some words to try and reconnect with my friends.

Hard to keep in touch, a letter to my friends


Dear friends, 

I’m gonna start by saying I miss you, and I wish we communicated more, I remember you fondly and above everything else I remember the good times we had.

I would like for us to talk more frequently but I'm trying to focus on myself for a moment and you probably feel the same way too, so the result is we never speak to each other but I want you to know that the love stays the same, whether or not we talk frequently, you are still my friend and nothing in the world can erase that, the support you have had given me in many occasions doesn't go unnoticed.

I’ve seen your stories in Instagram, I know you still remain being the same assholes I've always known, I know I don’t say it but I miss spending time with each and everyone of you, situations may have had separated us but you still remain in my mind and in my heart. I wish nothing but the best to all of you.

Comments

  1. i think we lost the meaning of friends, now day everyone call everyone a friend even followers when you don't really know these people. Honestly i believe i only have a couple friends the rest they are just people i know and i like hanging out with

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to agree with you, I think social media has made us disconnect from the real world and friends. I think if we all made a better effort for a meaningful relationship beyond social media, things will be different. Thank you for sharing.
    Darina from daramiblog

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so sweet! It is really hard to stay in touch with people, especially if you have a lot of friends it can really be impossible to keep up with everyone. I am currently living in Cambodia, so the timezones and physical distance makes things especially hard. I like to block out a few hours once or twice a month to call/message everyone. This helps me make sure I touch base at least once or twice instead of going months without talking to my closer friends/family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was such an amazing post. Life really has a way of keeping us away from friends and loved ones at times. As a result sometimes it's hard to keep in touch and we find ourselves growing apart from our friends. I try my best to at least reach out once a week and check in on my friends. Not always successful but I try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a friend that I've known since I was 7,im now 49, and we are still close. She's closer than a sister. Friends are so important. I agree

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Everyday happiness

Finding yourself

Indifference, a step closer to happiness