Indifference, a step closer to happiness

Chapters of life:

Indifference, a step closer to happiness

Everyday I have been feeling like I'm just existing, don’t get me wrong though because I don’t feel sad either. I call this feeling “Indifference”.

Lately I have felt days are the same, I´m beginning to actually understand what the Rolling Stones meant with their song “Satisfaction”. I started thinking about it and it's all about perspective. Take this situation for example:

Not too long ago there I was on the subway at 6am on my way home from work. My daily commute here in Buenos Aires, includes a subway ride. As it is common I don´t usually encounter many friendly faces and this day wasn´t any different but then a flashback occurred, I remembered the subway at 10am when I had to work the day shift for a few extra hours instead of the usual night shift and suddenly I was the only one with a smile on my face that day.

Let me explain, I know waking up at 6am feels terrible but it could be worse. We could be riding the subway at 10am and in this city at that time the subway is quite impossible.

And yes waking up later might feel good because you feel fresh, but waking up earlier gives you a smoother ride to work without having to deal with the nightmare that is a rush hour ride on the subway, so it made me feel better.

I believe the reason it made me feel better about myself and my job was because I understood it could be worse, I felt relieved that I didn´t have to face such an uncomfortable situation and I felt whole for a few minutes, I felt good. 

Routines suck, I think with certain routines you get stuck in this cycle of self-deprecation where you don´t necessarialy feel good nor bad, i believe this is because we are not satisfied with our current situation and I guess this backtracks into a natural human feeling, if we don´t feel like we are moving forward, we might feel like we are moving backwards and we obviously hate that but then again, just like an arrow you need to be pushed back a little in order to gain momentum and be pushed forward or so I read in one of those motivating instagram images lol.

Now I believe feeling satisfied and feeling happy are linked. The famous “Same shit, different day” mantra is one of societies shared emotion of feeling unsatisfied , everyday feels the same but in reality we should look at the pros and cons, kinda like if we think in a positive way the situation might not feel as bad.

The point is we are constantly moving forward because everyday we grow as a person even with bad situations occurring. So I actually dare you to try it, look for a situation where we didn’t truly feel “happy” at the time but in retrospect we weren’t so bad compared to another one. You probably found it, and in the future you might say the same thing about your current situation.

So I guess the lesson here is that we can always feel better if we truly believe we are on the road to being happy and whatever that means for you. In theory if we feel like our days are “Same shit, different day” we could try to look at it as “This might be a good day, different way to approach my goal”. (I know, maybe it´s not as catchy.) 

There’s always something to feel grateful about and rainy days aren’t so bad because they serve a purpose, we may not see it now but we will. Anytime you feel like you are riding the subway at 6am just remember you could be riding the subway at 10am.

As always, I thank you for reading this and please keep finding a way to become a better you.


Comments

  1. This is so similar doing the routine house chores and sometimes I get tired. Same grind almost everyday! Then I said to myself I thank God that i have a house to clean! Great points here to remind us daily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post 🙌. Wonderful points that you touched on when it comes to being happy and satisfied. It really boils down to out thinking patterns. Change the narrative from negative to positive.

    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve been thinking about this idea of feeling like we’re “just existing” a lot lately. It can really eat away at you, even when nothing is overwhelmingly wrong. I love the mindset shift you propose. Mindset really is so powerful. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post i like to smile I think its my faces default so I do it a lot and as I have such a happy disposition I think it rubs off on others sometimes x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post and love all the ideas you have hear. Our thinking patterns really have the power to impact our feelings and our behaviors. Having or being consistent with positive thoughts will go a long way. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all your topics are so eye-catching, and then your content, just wow!! here

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful post! Some days "just existing" is okay. I always tell myself that. I seem to forget how everything has a purpose and this post reminded me of it. Thanks for sharing, Javier. Cheers to better you and better days even if better days seem like normal days sometimes. �� xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finding yourself

Everyday happiness

Why I think Youtube is great